Friday, July 30, 2010

Coffee

Did I tell you that I am addicted to coffee? I say, "you," because there might be someone reading this though I doubt it. I have not posted for nearly a year for lots of reasons, the first being that writing a blog was the least of my priorities over the past 12 months. The second being that there seems not much to write about and everyone is writing a blog, most of them not worth the reading unless you are that writer's mother.... Even then, there's enough Facebook to keep us all occupied in other's lives without getting hooked on blogs as well. Nevertheless, here is another blog post from me.

So, back to coffee - I am addicted. Actually, the truth is that I am addicted to becoming a Starbucks "gold" member - in much the same way that George Clooney's character in "Up in the air" was addicted to becoming a million mile member - or was it billion? I am not sure; I saw the movie only one time and at that stage in the movie I had written it off as a little depressing...

However, back to coffee. Starbucks company have made the possibility of my becoming a gold member far too easy so as the goal is obtainable, even for a graduate student at the end of her studies (i.e. no money), I am on the road to get my card. I wonder how I will feel once I get to my goal? Probably a little dissatisfied so perhaps I should not be so eager to get to it. It is encouraging me to buy coffee for others though so in my selfish ambition, am I actually a little generous? Perhaps, but only a little. A couple of weeks ago I actually persuaded a friend to go with me to Caribou instead of Starbucks but I was disappointed with that too...not strong enough...and $4 for coffee and hot milk...an overpriced drink calling itself a vanilla latte (extra hot) was not worth the money. For a brief moment on a Sunday morning, I can buy a luxury item and enjoy it...but the moment is only a moment.

The thing is though, I really love the coffee. Actually, I love the idea of the process in making the coffee - the final drinking of drinking it is not as good as the making of it. Grinding the beans, filling the container with freshly filtered water, and hearing the gurgling of the machine as the water turns from clear to a beautiful shade of dark chocolate in a mug - yum - the perfect accompaniment to Bible and journal in the early hours of the day. I have definitely upped my intake of coffee - Starbucks CEO and shareholders rejoice - but wonder what havoc it is causing to my insides.

Tomorrow I am going to a friend's wedding. After the last wedding I attended I said that was it for me in weddings unless it was my own. However the comment was rash in that I already knew that I would be coming to this one - I will smile and look like I am really happy for the couple (which is true) and that I am quite content in my non-married state (which is not true). I honestly thought that I would be married by now - isn't that supposed to be the "normal" course of events? High school, college, job/career/ married/children/grad school? I missed out those middle 2 - I know that marriage is not the be all and end all.....but it would be nice....

Ok, time to get some beauty sleep in the hope that I may meet someone tomorrow....I have hoped for that before at other friend's weddings...

Good night....whoever you are.

No comments:

Followers